BWS API Reference
Welcome to the BioID API Reference!
BioID offers a biometric authentication service - the BioID Web Service (BWS) – including multimodal biometrics and liveness detection. BioID Web Service (BWS) is a cloud-based online service with a pure match-on-server principle. Using the Microsoft Windows Azure™ infrastructure, BWS dynamically scales up to any performance or space requirement. All data centers are located within Europe, or, upon special customer request, in specific other countries. All data transfer to and from BWS is secured with strong TLS/SSL encryption.
Customers can easily enhance the security and functionality of their web, cloud, and mobile applications by adding advanced BWS multimodal biometric technology to their existing infrastructure.
Before you get started - Register a trial instance
The free 30 day trial instance will provide you with full access to our API functionalities. You gain access to the BWS Portal which allows you to manage your installation.
For a first look and feel how biometrics works with our BioID Web Service we recommend to try out our ready-to-use samples (only BioID account required).
- Web apps (browser apps) for pure Liveness Detection, PhotoVerify, Enroll, Verify and Identify - please visit our BioID Playground.
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android (enroll and verify yourself - liveness detection included).
For integration we provide sample code on GitHub.
- BWS iOS sample code for app integration
- BWS Android sample code for app integration
- BWS HTML5 Unified User Interface for web app integration
We do not offer a client SDK! Why?
All biometrics are executed on the BioID Web Service (BWS). You simply capture a minimum of 2 images and send these images to BWS.
To capture the right images you must implement the BioID Motion Detection on your client side, which is mandatory for capturing images for liveness detection.
Simply decide your preferred protocol
Liveness Detection (Presentation Attack Detection)
To prevent an impostor from accessing someone else’s account using a photo or video of the authorized user, BWS implements liveness detection — presentation attack detection — to make sure that the submitted images are from a live person in front of the camera. Liveness detection is optional but recommended in most applications.
You need to send two images in between which the user has moved slightly. Therefore, please implement the following:
- Capture the first image with the person looking straight at the camera.
- Use our BioID Motion Detection to automatically trigger the capturing of the second image as soon as the person has turned their head far enough.
- Please get your users to perform this movement. Otherwise liveness detection fails automatically.
A clear separation between biometric and media data used by BWS and other sensitive data at the customer's systems is assured by storing only anonymous user data. This data is identified by a Biometric Class ID (BCID) assigned by BWS to all data with no information about the user’s identity.
Furthermore, BWS in anonymous mode stores no photos but only a template: an irreversible mathematical representation of the person’s unique features, from which no picture can be reconstructed.
Terms of Service
The Terms of Service govern your use of BioID Web Service.